Sunday, April 3, 2011

For the Love of Etsy

I love Etsy, don't you?  If you don't, you really should.  Etsy is an online marketplace that hosts thousands, literally thousands of "stores" (in addition to mine) where people sell their handmade items, craft and art supplies, and all things vintage.  Something has to have one of those three criteria in order to be sold on Etsy.  The work that artists sell is incredible and I have to practice self-control because there are so many things that I love and one could go absolutely uber-crazy with all the choices available to them.  A Paypal account is great, but it's not a never-ending well;  at least mine's not.

It's amazing the number of different ways a bracelet or necklace can be made using the same componants of beads, metal, wire, glue, paper, fabric, etc.  I find that Etsy increases my drive to be more creative, and to try my hand at different jewelry-making techniques.  It also pushes me to bring something more unique to my pieces to stand out among the throngs of jewelry sellers on Etsy.

I love to promote and celebrate other Etsy artists, so periodically I'm going to feature some of my very favorites that I have had experience purchasing from.  In each of these cases, the items were exactly as described, if not better, very reasonably-priced, and the shipping was quick. 

I'm going to start with Gothic Crow, who's tag line is "Gothic Raven Images... with a touch of odd."  I love odd.  I purchased this picture a couple years ago, framed it in an 8 X 8 black wood frame from Michael's, and it has been hanging in my family room ever since.  I absolutely adore it. 

Take a look-see through Gothic Crow's shop and try and limit your "I love this's" down to a handful.  I don't know how the artist takes these pictures and doctors them up to achieve the end result, but they very beautiful and quite unique.  Now this is the kind of shop that gets me in trouble.  I love everything about the images:  the weathered architecture, the statues, headstones in graveyards, the stark black crows, and the aged patina over the entire picture.  And the price!  Really?  $16?  You couldn't find something as unique with as much quality at a Homegoods, sorry. 

Share the Etsy love and start clicking.

Sara

No comments: