Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Kind of Town

As Sinatra sings, Chi-ca-go is my kind of town.  Actually, it's currently a tie between Chicago and NYC.  NYC is a little edgier and darker and I like that, BUT I've never seen U2, a favorite, in NYC and I have seen them the past two times in Chicago, making for a grand total of 5 times.  So there I was this July 4th holiday celebrating with 60,000+ of my closest friends, watching the coolest band ever blow our minds yet again. 


 I need to practice my guitar so I'll be ready when it's my turn to be a rock star.



Just so you know, U2's 3 "claw" stages are going up for sale.  You'd have to provide your own lighting, sound, roof, and space to accommodate the 29,000 sq. ft. structure, but it's nice to know it's available, isn't it?

Here's a short list of why I like Chicago:
  • The Nordstroms has the best accessories department.
  • Lake Michigan is big enough to help you forget you're in the Midwest and essentially landlocked.  I grew up at the beach and this is important to note.
  • All the good stuff is within walking distance of each other.  I'm all about the walking.
  • Hands down Devon's Seafood has the best tuna tartare.  I could eat it every day.
  • The city's container plants are really quite beautiful.
  • The Affinia Hotel is a little gem off the beaten path and right next door to Gino's Pizza, which always has a huge line for their Chicago-style pizza. 
  • Chicago has two, that's right, TWO Anthropologie stores within 2 miles of each other.  And they have the friendliest staff.  Heaven.
  • Did I mention U2 plays there every tour?  Reason enough to love this town.
I also discovered a new store, All Saints, that is based out of England but hit the US last year.  They currently have 11 American stores and more to follow.  Other than the fact that most of the skirts were taller than me, there wasn't anything about the store I didn't like.  The colors and textures of the clothes were incredible, the accessories were to-die-for, and the music was a perfect backdrop.  The industrial fixtures complimented the gauzy pieces wonderfully. 



Vintage Singer sewing machines


AND there is free shipping!  Can you hear my husband saying "oh dear" in the background?  Nah, I didn't either.

Happy belated July 4th!

Sara

No comments: