Friday, July 22, 2011

What's In a Name?

I often get asked how I come up with the names for each of my jewelry pieces.  Some of them come from the actual elements in the pieces, e.g. my "Entrance Cuff Bracelet" which is made from a solid brass escutcheon that can be found on doors, hence the word "entrance."  My "Sanctus Josephus" necklace is named after the religious medal of the same name that serves as the focal in this piece. "Phoenix Rising Necklace" is named after the phoenix brass stamping embellishing the carved onyx cross.  The "Wade in the Water" necklace features a swimming medal so it seemed logical to give it that name, which also happens to be a song title. 

Most of my pieces are named after music that I listen to often that evokes feelings or calls to mind special memories.  I listen to a lot of This Mortal Coil, Portishead, and Kate Bush and therefore a lot of the pieces are named from these artists' song titles or portions of their lyrics.  I always think of my twin sister who lives far away when I hear Cocteau Twins, so that's a group that has references in several In Small Spectacles pieces.  I play them at least once a week even though my heart hurts a bit that I don't get to see my sister more than once a year. 

Today I named a necklace after my cousin Abigail, who has always answered to Abby.  She is one of the sweetest people you'll ever come across if you are so lucky.  I don't believe she has a mean bone in her body and she's always very effusive with encouragement and giving of her emotions.  Abby is also a rare "the glass is half full" breed, which is hard to come across these days.  She also lives far away from me, but I'm thankful that technology has allowed us to keep in touch despite the many miles separating us.

The Abby Vintage Locket Necklace is a very sweet and sentimental piece, made from old solid brass beads, hand-aged rhinestones, and a solid brass vintage locket that I embellished with one of my grandmother's montees and hand-aged rhinestone chain.  I think you'll agree this necklace is the perfect embodiment of sweetness and goodness and worthy of carrying it's namesake:

  




Here's to you, Cousin Abby.  I am thankful for your sweetness and gentle spirit and the encouragement you so readily give!  Love you!

Sara


No comments: