Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Name

Over the years, I often get asked where I came up with my jewelry's name "In Small Spectacles."  It's from the lyrics to a This Mortal Coil cover song, "The Jeweller" off of their "Filigree and Shadow" cd.  My twin sister and I used to listen to this cd over and over again when we were teenagers and I've never grown tired of their music, even as an adult. 



I've always appreciated the simplicity of the cello and the piano, the mournful quality of the music.  I love the imagery in the lyrics:  a jeweler who appreciates that vintage patina and the scars of time are beautiful and permanent, despite his best, and physically painful, efforts to restore their luster. 

His work and late night craft are his worship offering to God.  Our praise to Him can come from even the smallest and dingiest elements in our lives. We are commanded in Scripture to “…do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men.”  I try and do this too, doing the very best job I can in every bead and pearl I wire and every brass plate I etch.  It’s why I take pride in my policy that those who buy a piece are always right and if given the opportunity I will do whatever it takes to make them happy, even at my own expense. 

I enjoy the creative process and am thankful for its solitude.  To stay up late at night in my own space, listening to my favorite music,  pondering on the day’s events and meditating on lessons God has for me to learn is a pleasure and a respite from all of the craziness and chaos.  I am thankful every time He plants a new design or technique in my head and refreshes my creativity.

Hopefully you get an idea of what I'm thinking about when I approach the jewelry.  If not, you at least get a lead on a great band you might not have heard of before.

Sara 

No comments: