Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Stamped Solder

I have been experimenting with stamping solder once it's liquefied and playing with the different patterns and textures that magically appear.  A nod to etching in that the metal gets a big punch of interest, but much different in that the patterns, no matter what stamp I use, have a much more freeform appearance to them.  Often times I will etch some brass with several different patterns to get a collage look, but I'm finding the stamped solder has an organic feel to it.  Also, I want to incorporate more silver tones in my pieces to satisfy those customers who lean in that metal tone direction.

To give you an idea of where I'm going, here are two familiar designs I already have in my inventory, the demi cuff and the wrap bracelet, but I'm using the stamped solder as the focal:

 






I will use nickel as the foundation so that it looks more finished underneath, but if someone has an allergy to nickel I can easily substitute solid copper or solid brass instead. Check back in the Etsy Shop soon to see these and other stamped soldered pieces.

As always, thank you for your interest!

Sara

No comments: