Thursday, November 14, 2013

Props and Shows

I am always on the hunt for interesting ways to display In Small Spectacles pieces in photographs and in shows.  Several of my backdrops are the Santos dolls I collect.   Santos is Spanish for the word "saint," and these dolls can be found throughout antique stores and online.  They are very different and you either like them or you don't.....or they just grow on you.  Either way, I love them.  I have never been a traditional doll person, so maybe their unusual look is one reason I gravitate towards them.  Their unique structure and facial features are what draw me in. As the only woman in a home full of boys, I find their look of serenity quite engaging.


I found out about Santos dolls by accident.  A few years ago I came across this large winged angel wall hanging in an antique store and had to have it.   I didn't know what I had discovered, so at the time I thought the price was high but looking back I can see I really got a great bargain.  I did some research and found that the piece was a Santos.  I was immediately hooked.

 
I have come across really unique antique Santos angels and even beautiful reproductions made in  materials not traditionally used in the dolls.  I have found they fit nicely tucked in corners, grouped on a wall, and placed in little vignettes throughout my home.
 

 
 
 

They are the perfect backdrop for my jewelry pieces and match my design aesthetic.  Depending on my inventory at the time, I will very often grab the dolls I have around my home and take them to art shows as props.

 





 



 
 
 
Look for one or more of these pretties at the Cincinnati Holiday Art Show on December 7th from 10-4pm.  This will be my last public show of the year, however if you are interested in hosting a private Trunk Show, please contact me at InSmallSpectacles@gmail.com and we can put together a fun shopping experience in the privacy of your home with your friends.  Shopping is always more fun with friends plus hostesses get discounts and free jewelry!
 
Enjoy your weekend!
 
Sara


No comments: